MATT BYRNE BIOGRAPHY:
High School: Lettered for three seasons in football at St. Rita of Cascia High School ... Played for coach Todd Kuska ... Two-time all-conference selection ... Was named a team captain his senior season ... Earned the Pat Cronin Award (junior of the year) ... 2013 Chicago Catholic League Blue Division Champions as well as 2013 Prep Bowl Champions.
Personal: Born Matthew Kevin Byrne on September 21, 1995 to Tom and Kathy Byrne in Oak Lawn, Ill. ... Younger brother of Jack Byrne, who played football at Indiana State from 2005-09 ... Open Preference major.
GETTING TO KNOW MATT BYRNE:
1. What made you choose ISU?
I felt really comfortable with the coaches and players and believed in what the coaches were telling me
2. How influential was Coach Natali in your decision to come to ISU?
Coach Natali was a huge influence into getting to me come to ISU, he was very honest and made me feel like I was at home
3. What leadership qualities will you bring with you to ISU?
I am a person who likes to lead by example and earn everyone’s trust through the way I play
4. What do you plan to major in?
I plan to major in Insurance
5. What are your career plans after football?
I’d love to play football or coach but if not that I plan to find a great job and live in Downtown Chicago
6. What about Coach Sanford and the rest of the coaching staff attracted you to this program?
There was defiantly a lot of energy along with a great trust and understanding between everyone
7. What about the program as a whole are you most excited about?
I look forward to having a comeback season and have a very successful college career
8. How will your skill set impact this team?
My skill set will help by competing with others and pushing the team to get better constantly
9. What excited you the most about playing in the Missouri Valley Conference?
It is a very exciting and competitive conference with big games every week
10. Who is the most influential person in your life and why?
My parents because of the help and guidance they have given me throughout my life
11. What athlete do you look up to the most and why?
Kyle Long because being from Chicago and being an offensive linemen you can learn a lot about how to be a great player and a hard worker
12. If you were marooned on a deserted island and were only allowed to bring three items what would they be?
Flint, radio, and fishing net/pole
13. What’s one place in the world you have to see in your lifetime?
14. Favorite non-football hobby?
15. Favorite meal?
Chicken wings and fries
16. Favorite restaurant?
REGISTER NOW: The Indiana State Football Golf Outing Fundraiser Is Scheduled For April 26, 2014. We look forward to having you this year! Click here to register NOW!