Thank you so much for all of your support over the past two years. It has been such an honor to serve the Sycamore Athletic Fund, our teams and the loyal Sycamore fans. Our future is extremely bright and our team is energized by the prospect of what the coming years have in store.
We had a fabulous fall with great performances from teams and individuals. Here are some highlights:
The endowment for the Larry Bird Scholarship has continued to grow.
- Varsity Club membership and gifts to the Sycamore Athletic Fund have increased.
- After bringing the Victory Bell back from Ball State, our football team made their first appearance in the playoffs in 30 years and advanced to the second round.
- Our men’s and women’s track & field teams won the 2015 MVC Indoor Track & Field Championships, and coaches John McNichols and Angie Martin received MVC Coach of the Year honors.
- We hosted another very successful NCAA Division I Cross Country National Championship, highlighted by a sixth place finish from Sycamore junior John Mascari.
- Women’s Soccer player Maddie Orf (sophomore) received First Team MVC All-Conference honors, scoring seven goals and tallying two assists during the 2014 season.
- Volleyball recorded its first winning record since 1982, recording a 17-14 overall mark.
- Women’s Golf won the Charles Braun Intercollegiate Tournament.
- Men’s basketball finished 3rd in the MVC regular season standings.
- Women’s basketball won the St. John’s Chartwells Holiday Classic, defeating No. 25 St. John’s and SMU.
- Rhagen Smith has been selected as the Missouri Valley Conference’s female representative to attend the NCAA Student-Athlete Leadership Forum.
- Sophomore Alethia Marrero and junior Adarius Washington represented Indiana State at the NCAA Division I Indoor Track & Field Championships in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Washington finished 5th in the 60 meter hurdles and earned First Team All-American honors.
- Baseball defeated No. 1 Vanderbilt.
- Softball Senior Megan Stone tied the ISU career home run record.
We are looking forward to spring with great anticipation for continued achievement on the field and in the classroom. We are very excited to be opening our first new athletic facility in decades. The Gibson Track and Field at the Sycamore Athletic Complex will open on April 17.
Next year we’ll be faced with increased challenges, such as the new cost of attendance policy, which will increase the financial needs of athletic departments across our conference. In order to meet these new challenges head on, we will be launching some new programs, such as the GIVE 110% initiative. Look for additional information on this program in your Varsity Club and season ticket renewal packets. We are blessed with tremendous institutional support and generous benefactors, and our coaches continue to utilize your gifts to compete at the highest levels nationally. With your support we can continue to meet the needs of our more than 400 student athletes.