Information For Agents
Guide for Athlete Agents
In an effort to educate individuals who are interested in representing Indiana State University student-athletes in professional sports negotiations, the Indiana State University Athletics Compliance Office has created this guide.
Indiana State University Agent Registration Form
NCAA Bylaw 12.3.1 stipulates that an individual shall be ineligible for participation in an intercollegiate sport if her or she ever has agreed (orally or in writing) to be represented by and agent for the purpose of marketing his or her athletics ability or reputation in that sport.
NCAA Bylaw 22.214.171.124 indicates further that an individual shall be ineligible per 12.3.1 if her or she enters into a verbal or written agreement with an agent for represnetation in future professional sports negotiations that are to take place after the individual has completed his or her eligibility in that sport.
NCAA Bylaw 126.96.36.199 states that an individual shall be ineligible if he or she (or his or her relatives or friends) accepts transportation or other benefits from:
1. Any person who represents any individual in the marketing of his or her athletics ability. The receipt of such expenses constitutes compensation based on athletics skill and is an extra benefit not available to the student body in general; or
2. An agent, even if the agent has indicated that he or she has no interest in representing the student-athletes in the marketing of his or her athletics ability or reputation and does not represent individuals in the student-athlete's sport.
An athlete agent who, directly or indirectly, recruits or solicits a student-athlete to enter into an agent contract is required by the Indiana Uniform Athlete Agents Act to do the following:
All athlete agents who plan to contact student-athletes within the State of Indiana must first register with the Indiana Attorney General. The Office of the Attorney General can be reached at (317) 232-6201 (317) 232-6201 or http://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/contact/RegAtheleteAgent.pdf.
At least ten (10) days before a student athlete enters into an agency contract, the athlete agent shall give in a record the notice required by IC 35-46-4-4 of the existence of the contract to the athletic director of the educational institution at which the student-athlete is enrolled or the athlete agent has reasonable grounds to believe the student-athlete intends to enroll.
An athlete agent who, with the intent to induce a student-athlete to enter into an agency contract:
- gives any materially false or misleading information or makes a materially false promise or representation;
- furnishes anything of value to a student-athlete before the student-athlete enters into the agency contract; or
- furnishes anything of value to any individual other than the student-athlete or another registered athlete agent commits a Class D felony per Indiana law.
An educational institution has a right of action against an athlete agent or a former student-athlete for damages caused by a violation of the Uniform Athlete Agents Act.
Indiana State University
All correspondence from athlete agents or advisors should be sent to the ISU Athletics Compliance Office at 401 North 4th Street, Terre Haute, IN 47809 in duplicate. The original will be given to the student-athlete's head coach, and the duplicate will be kept in the Compliance Office. Indiana State University does this to ensure agents are in compliance with state law.
Indiana State Athletics will not provide the addresses or telephone numbers of student-athletes. We request all agents and advisors to refrain from telephone contact with ISU student-athletes, or their parents and relatives until the student-athlete has exhausted his or her NCAA eligibility. In-person meetings with current ISU student athletes will be allowed only if each of the following conditions are satisfied: the completed Agent Registration Form and all necessary documentation is filed with the Compliance Office; meetings must be scheduled through the student-athlete's Head Coach in conjunction with the Compliance Office; and a member of the student-athlete's coaching staff must be present at all times during any meeting.